Skip to main content

January & February Reads



Things have been so busy at our home that I completely forgot to share books that I read in January so I am including them here.  

So Long, Insecurity: You've Been a Bad Friend to Us by Beth Moore: I picked up this audio book before I went on my road trip in February.  Honestly before listening to this book I would not have thought that I had any insecurities.  I definitely learned throughout this book that EVERYONE has some type of insecurities even myself.  What a wonderful thing to remember that God is bigger than even our biggest insecurity.

Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters by Rachel Stafford:  This book was probably the most disappointing book that I have read this year.  When I picked up this audio book from our library I was so excited. This looks like the perfect book for me in my current season of life.  I need to accomplish a certain number of chores each day while at the same time I want to really live in the moment as I enjoy my children to the fullest.  Unfortunately in my opinion this book was entirely too wordy.  I believe that the author has a great message but I just don't think her message merits an entire book.  The first chapter was pretty good but then the book just keeps repeating itself.  I actually disliked this book so much that I only listened to half of it which is huge for me.  (I love completion.)  It could have gotten better in the end but I just couldn't stand it anymore.  I should probably note here that I do heartily agree with the message of the book.  Personally my husband and I do not own smart phones- our phones cannot even access the Internet because we really want to limit our time utilizing them in order to give more time to what really matters-relationships.

Minding Molly by Leslie Gould:  This was such a sweet Amish fiction book and a delightful read.  I even found myself staying up past bedtime to squeeze in an extra chapter or two.  ;)  I really enjoyed reading about Molly as she struggles to help save her family's farm while at the same time resisting her mother's plan for her to marry her neighbor.  Reading about Molly's flower business even inspired me to grow more flowers this year.  Yesterday my sister and I started seeds in our float bed and I easily planted over 100!  Please note that I did receive a free copy of this book in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own.

Found in Him: The Joy of the Incarnation and Our Union with Christ by Elyse Fitzpatrick: Out of all the books I have read the past two months, this book has definitely had the most impact.  Don't let the long title scare you because this book is awesome!  Although I have a master of divinity degree and have spent countless hours studying the incarnation (Christ becoming a human) this book has helped me to grasp the incarnation in a totally new way.  It's one of those books that you do not want to breeze right through (even though it is that good).  This is a book to savour.  One that you want to read slowly, highlight, and journal or think through the questions at the end of the book.  A book that you will find yourself telling others about.  (I think I have talked about at least twice in my Sunday School class.)  I read one chapter most mornings and then pondered it throughout my day.  The questions at the end of the chapter are excellent.  I did think through them but I did not journal them (that would be preferable I think).  If you are looking for a book to learn more about Christ read this book.  I think this would also be an excellent book for a women's bible study.  Please note that I did receive a free copy of this book in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own.

Learning a Loving Way of Life :This La Leche League (breastfeeding support group) book is a collection of the best articles published in LLL's magazine in the 70's and 80's.  Of course this book is old: actually it was written before I was even born.  The information and advice given throughout the book is timeless and I enjoyed it immensely.  It's neat to think that my mother might have read the same book while I was a young breastfed baby.

The Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Make the Most of Your Growing Season by Ron Kujawski & Jennifer Kujawski:  When it comes to gardening timing can be everything.  This book provides a week by week to do list of what you should be planting or doing in relation to your garden.  I have raised my own garden for the past 2 years and have tried to figure out my own schedule but it is so much work!  I should have found this book years ago.  This book calculates everything based on your zone's last frost date so everyone can utilize this book. It also includes space for notes for 3 years.  This book is definitely at the top of my amazon wish list and I hope to purchase it soon!

What books did you read last month?  Do you have any recommendations?  


Comments

  1. Yes, your mother did read the La Leche League book, LEARNING A LOVING WAY OF LIFE. I read a lot of breastfeeding books when you were little! It's really awesome you read this book! And Eva is such a little sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea