|The back view of The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home) which we visited last week.|
Last week was so much fun! We were blessed to spend two nights in Nashville with family. Eli spent 5 days in Arkansas staying alone for the first time with Nina & Poppy Steve. He had such a wonderful time but oh my did we ever miss him!
Here are a few of the frugal things we did last week:
- We packed a cooler full of drinks for our trip. (I under estimated how much we would drink and we ran out the 2nd day.) After buying 1 drink in a vending machine ($2 can you believe it?) we stopped by a grocery to purchase more for our return trip. We also packed lunch meat, cheese, and bread to make sandwiches on the way there and on the way back. On the way back I felt led to give our food away to a homeless man along the side of the road so we actually did end up eating out. I'm glad that we had the food in our car and were able to bless someone else. :)
- We had a wonderful time visiting The Hermitage in Nashville last week and even used a coupon on admission. It always pays to search for coupons before you visit!
- I did not go to the grocery at all last week which was good because we really needed to use grocery money for gas to Nashville. I'm still hoping to move towards grocery shopping only 2-3 times a month so this was a small victory to skip a whole week!
|I sewed a Microwavable Potato Bag for my mother-in-law's birthday using material I had on hand. If you want to make something similar you MUST use only cotton batting. (Next time I would make the flap portion longer.)|
- I cooked a chicken and made homemade chicken broth. I used some to make soup and froze the rest.
- I made homemade kefir.
- I started seeds using the Hydrofarm CK64050 Germination Station with Heat Mat from amazon. I also purchased a grow light from Walmart. I've never started seeds indoors so this is an experiment for me. We usually start seeds in a heated, floating, water bed.
|The reusable grocery bag I made for my sister-in-law's birthday.|
- Our trip to Nashville was a fun time to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday, sister-in-law's birthday and my birthday which are all the same week. How fun is that? I made my sister-in-law a reusable grocery bag using Butterick Pattern B5338 . (There are lots of free patterns online or pinterest but I already had this pattern.) I used fabric and notions that I had originally purchased to make an apron. It is always great to use material that I have on hand.
- We were able to receive half price admission to the Nashville Zoo because we are zoo members at another zoo. I think our entire family had a great time at the zoo. The weather was wonderful!
- We took the kids to two different parks while we were in Franklin and they all had a blast! Pinkerton was my favorite!
- The hubby and I went to the dentist and had our teeth cleaned. No cavities-hooray! I always consider going to the dentist for check-ups as frugal because it saves money to take care of your teeth regardless of whether you have dental insurance or not. It's also just plain smart.
What frugal things did you do last week?