Skip to main content

Frugal Things I Did Two Week's Ago



The snow was a welcomed interruption to our week last week.  We didn't receive much but it was enough to enjoy an afternoon of sledding and snow angels down the front hill.  I'm amazed (and a little terrified) at how fearless both children are when it comes to sledding!  We spent a lot of time this week just focused on simple enjoyments like hot chocolate, sledding, and spending hours reading books snuggled up under a cozy blanket watching it snow.

I was able to speak with one of Evangeline's physicians over the phone instead of actually having to drive in for an appointment.  The physician actually suggested this to me and I was thrilled to take her up on it!  Of course this saves tons of money and it also saved me at least four hours since she tends to run hours behind!  I was so thankful.

My mom & I enjoyed a wonderful trip to JoAnn fabrics during their 20% off sale.  I purchased fabric and supplies to make two gifts for friends.  I also snagged a fun fabric to make a maxi skirt for myself.  Although not very frugal I purchased fabric and batting to sew my first quilt.  I used as many coupons as possible and the remaining balance on a gift card.  Still I should have budgeted a lot more for quilt fabric!


We enjoyed a wonderful family afternoon to our local museum center.  We purchased a museum pass and were thrilled that they happened to be on sale at the time!  In our family we are huge fans of memberships to local attractions.  It would have cost our family $51 for parking and admission if we didn't have a pass.  The cost of a family pass pays for itself in exactly two visits.  I'm sure that we probably visit at least once a month so the pass is really a great bargain!  We have also taken advantage of our museum's reciprocity agreement and have visited both COSI in Columbus, OH and The Pink Palace in Memphis, TN completely free.

We enjoyed a fun family brunch for Valentine's Day with extended family.  For dinner we enjoyed our own family celebration complete with heart shaped straws and simple gifts.  I sewed pillowcases for the entire family as a Valentine's Day gift per Brandon's request.  I wasn't sure if he was kidding or not but I made him a Star Wars pillowcase regardless!  I also gifted Brandon a nice sweatshirt that I purchased weeks ago on clearance.


I crocheted the above baby hat for my friend's little girl.  This is only my second hat ever so please don't judge!  I was pleased with how it turned out.  I used Caron Simply Soft yarn and this pattern.  I made the flower following a video on youtube.  I also sewed a few burp rags to include with the gift.  Most of the baby gifts that I make for friends are local but this friend happens to live in Savannah.  (We are college buddies.)  I usually try to make smaller items when the gift will need to be mailed.  

Eli attended a 4H Cloverbud meeting.  He had a wonderful time and even gifted his project to the leader.  Secretly I was a little bummed he didn't bring it home but so thankful for his sweet, giving heart.

I shopped at Aldi for groceries following Eva's therapy appointment.  Combining trips always saves time and money!

What did you do last week to save money?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea