Monday, August 25, 2014

This Mama Studies: Going Back To School!



The happy hubby insisted on taking my picture on my first day of school. 
If you have noticed a small lull in my writing on the blog it is because a new adventure has begun in our family.  This mama is going back to school!!!  The end goal is to become an ibclc lactation consultant.      Brandon and I have thought about this as a possibility for our family for years.  I have always been interested in the health care field and I am really passionate about breastfeeding so this seems like the perfect fit.
This semester I am taking two classes:

Anatomy & Physiology I Lecture & Lab
Nutrition & Wellness

The nutrition class is all online and I attend the A & P class twice a week in the evenings while the happy hubby hangs out with the kiddos.  So far I have spent  10 hours on Anatomy & Physiology homework/studying and 2 hours on nutrition since classes began on Tuesday.  On my first day of A & P the tutor for the class said that it usually takes about 25 hours a week of studying to do well in the class.  I simply don't have that much time to give but I am trying to carve out about 10 hours for study and homework.

Next semester I will take a statistics class and a CPR class before I begin the Lactation Education classes and hands on hours necessary to sit for the ibclc exam in July of 2016.  



3 comments:

  1. congrats Amanda, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, you will need to have some practical experience before you can sit for the exam. See if there is a La Leche League near you, & if so join now. By the time you are done with your schooling, you will have some "counseling/consulting" hours to go with, if you attend the meetings, & let them know why you joined. Those hours are really important to qualify to sit for the exam.

    I was a lactation consultant at the hospital where I worked as a NICU RN. I considered studying for & taking the IBCLC exam, but I did not have enough hours consulting. I worked part time, not full time, & was allowed to count a percentage of my work shift hours as lactation time, & I was also on the lactation committee at work. Unfortunately, nursing your own children does not count for hours ( but it should!)

    If you plan ahead for the hours now, you should be able to have enough by the time you need them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete