Skip to main content

July Reads

July Reads
Women of the Word Jen Wilkin: I'm sure that every true believer of Christ would say it is important to study God's Word but most of us could also say that it can be hard to know where to start.  Today it is so easy for women to get discouraged reading the Bible as they deal with various frustrations and time constraints.  Personally my biggest challenge during this busy season of life is the time constraint.  I simply don't have as much time as I desire to study my Bible but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a rich Bible Study experience with the time that I do have available.    Wilkin offers a clear plan to help women study their Bible deeper in order that they might treasure Christ even more.  I have read a few different books on reading the Bible and this book was so refreshing.  The author presents the 5 P's of Bible Study: Purpose, Perspective, Patience, Process, and Prayer.  Overall this book was great and I am sure I will be passing it along to friends in the future!  Please note that I did receive a review copy of this book from Crossway Books.

Answering Your Kids' Toughest Questions by Elyse Fitzpatrick & Jesssica Thompson: This book was a hard yet great book to read.  I know that a big challenge in my parenting in the future will be helping my children to understand difficult things in life such as loss, sin, death, wars, eternity, sexuality, and tragedies in their life.  Fitzpatrick & Thompson did an excellent job in this book helping parents to talk to their children.  I really enjoyed how the authors gave practical suggestions about possible things that you could actually say to your child.  They aren't suggesting parents read to their children from the book but I found it really helpful to see an example.  I also appreciated how the authors talked about how to talk to your children when they are preschoolers, 5-10, and 11 and beyond.  I thought this was very helpful.  Overall this is a great book that I am sure I will look to again and again in the future.  Please note that I did receive a copy of this book to review from Bethany House Publishing.  All opinions are my own.

The Duck Commander Family: How Faith, Family, and Ducks Built a Dynasty by Willie & Korie Robertson: I must say that I didn't really get into Duck Dynasty until right after Evangeline was born.  During her newborn days I found myself up often in the night nursing and one night I clicked on Duck Dynasty.  A few weeks later and I watched at least a few seasons.  :)  I'm about halfway through the book and it is great.  I have really enjoyed learning more about their family.  They really were ordinary people before Duck Dynasty was born.  :)

Kombucha Revolution by Stephen Lee with Ken Koopman: This book is all about making kombucha.  I have been brewing kombucha for probably at least 3 years.  If you have never tasted kombucha it is kind of like carbonated fruit juice with a zip.  To say that the author takes brewing kombucha seriously is an understatement.  This book was WAY too intense for me!  I really enjoy brewing kombucha once a week but I really just don't want to branch out into making kombucha into anything else.  If you have lots of time on your hands and a serious kombucha addiction you might enjoy this book.  Otherwise skip the book and just enjoy brewing your favorite flavor.  If you are new to kombucha there are many tips inside the book that you might find helpful.  Please note that I did receive a copy of this book from Blogging For Books.

7 Myths of Working Mothers: Why Children and (Most) Careers Just Don't Mix by Suzanne Venker:  This is probably the most controversial book that I read this month.  While I wouldn't say that I agree with 100% of the book I did enjoy reading it.  Venker makes a solid argument for the fact that in many career paths a woman simply cannot give 110% to both her job and her family.  She isn't against mothers working outside of the home and she would not say that she thinks that every woman should stay at home and never contribute to the income of the household.  The author simply encourages women to think of motherhood as their full-time job and then look for creative ways to fit other work around their first priority.  I know dozens of women who are doing just this.  I wish that this book was required reading for all high school senior girls before they enter college.  When I entered college motherhood and marriage was not even on my radar.  I would have definitely chosen a more family friendly major if I could do it all over again.

What good books did you read last month? 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea