Skip to main content

Frugal Things I Did The Last Two Weeks

Royal Burgundy green beans we picked this week from our garden. 
We have been able to harvest a substantial amount of produce from our garden the past few weeks.  Check out the PURPLE green beans that we grew!  They turn green when you cook them.  Elijah thinks they are just the coolest thing ever while the happy hubby just thinks I am silly.  Thankfully I can already notice a decrease in our grocery budget and an increase in the number of veggies we have been eating.  I planted an entire row of summer squash so it will soon be coming out of our ears!  We harvested squash and green beans from our garden.  We ate green beans with three meals this past week.  My mother also canned 3 quarts for us.  

I ordered a subscription to Old House Journal for 4.50.  Honestly I haven't read this magazine before but I figured that it was worth a shot.  (I used fun money to purchase it.)

I renewed library videos via the telephone in order to avoid paying a late fee.  One thing that has really helped me in the area of not returning items late to the library is to always visit the library on the same day of the week.  Where we live you can keep movies for one week and books for three.  We also don't always check out movies if we know we will not be able to return them on time.

Elijah and I canned 18 half pint jars of the world famous Ann Foutch (my mother) Kerr Cucumber Relish.  We also canned 14 pints of dill pickles and around a dozen pints of bread and butter pickles.  The cucumbers were given to us which was such a blessing!  My cucumber have done horrible this year.  I would love to find some more since our family can easily go through a jar of relish a week and a jar of pickles in about 2 weeks.  Pickles also make wonderful Christmas presents!


My cousin Anna's dress.  
I finished sewing my cousin's dress.  I used Butterick 3762 and hope to post a short review soon.  I was pleased with how it turned out.

Elijah came down with pink eye.  Since we have dealt with this in the past we did not think it was necessary to visit the pediatrician.  We used medicine we had on hand and when that ran out our Dr. was kind enough to call something in.  In the past we have also used a homeopathic remedy that has also worked well.

I purchased three Christmas presents.  There are only 141 days until Christmas!  It is time to get to work.  :)

The kids and I had lots of fun playing outside.  Why spend money on outside entertainment when they both have a blast playing and exploring our huge backyard?

What frugal things did you do last week?  



I would love to hear some of the frugal things that you did last week.  Please share below!  

Comments

  1. Haha, I laughed when you said your family can go through a jar of pickles in a week. Growing up I used to go through a jar of dill pickles in a single setting! Good thing my mom was great at canning them! I love the dress, it's just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit that there have been times when my son and I have polished off an entire jar in one day but it was just a pint jar. :) My husband can polish off a jar of okra pickles in not time flat so hopefully I will have enough okra in the garden this year to can some for him. The dress was really easy to make!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea