Skip to main content

Our First Girl's Trip

The weather had been so bad all week that I wasn't sure if I was going to actually be able to go on my trip until the day before.  
When I received an invitation for a baby shower 4 hours away and out of state for a sweet friend of mine my heart longed to go.  I set it aside thinking it was just too crazy.  I have a 4 month old nursing baby, an active 4 year old, and numerous responsibilities.  My sweet hubby had other plans though and encouraged me to go!  He kindly watched Elijah for me all weekend.  As a nursing baby Evangeline is my constant side-kick so we set out on our mini road trip early Saturday morning.

We had a lovely time driving south and stopped for lunch with my sweet friend Sarah Watkins in Barbourville, KY.  We were college buddies and both share a deep love of history, missions, and teaching Bible Studies.  Such a blessing to see that sweet girl!  I'm now kicking myself for forgetting to get a picture.  (That happens a lot to me!)  

After lunch Eva and I headed through the Cumberland Gap to TN.  I enjoyed reminiscing about old times and the many road trips I took to visit my great-grandmother who was also named Eva.  She lived in Eastern KY in the mountains.  During my college days I would travel to her house every 6 weeks or so and spend the weekend.  We would go shopping, out to eat at Hardees, and to church on Sunday.  Great-grandma Eva passed away five months after Eli's was born but she did get to meet him (her first Great Great Grandson).  I only wish she would have lived long enough to meet her namesake.  


Veteran's Overlook near Bean Station

Once in Tennessee we stopped at the above Veteran's Outlook along HWY 32/25E.  If you are ever driving this way I would definitely recommend stopping.  It was really neat and right off the highway.  I thought this would be a great place to take a nursing break but Evangeline kept sleeping so I enjoyed it all by myself.  Below are a few photos I snapped.  

There really is a place called Bean Station!  

Absolutely beautiful! 

After a brief stop we continued on to our next stop to visit Sarah Burton Winstead and her husband Nick.  Unfortunately I got lost and took a nice scenic route to their house adding almost an hour to our drive.  :(  I did see a couple of interesting sites while lost.  
The tractor parked at the gas station that I checked out while Eva was nursing.  Elijah would have been ecstatic if he had been with me since he loves tractors! 

Look closely...can you read the caption?  It says Possum...the other white meat!  I thought this was so funny.  
I stopped at a gas station to fill up along the way and couldn't believe that I had to go in to pay!  They did not take credit cards at the pump.  I know what a spoiled American I am!  The guy next to me had a funny license plate so I quickly snapped a picture, hopped into my car, and prayed he wouldn't take too much offense to my snapping a picture.  I felt slightly like Nancy Drew but didn't actually want to meet him face to face in case he saw me.    

Sarah and Eva
 We finally arrived to the charming town of Rogersville.  Eva and I both had a WONDERFUL time catching up with Sarah and Nick.  Eva was born five days after their wedding so I will probably always remember their anniversary.  I think I will forever be remembered as the big pregnant lady dancing at their wedding!  :)  The Winsteads were so generous and hospitable to us.  We even spent time with Sarah's parents who were in town visiting.  Evangeline and I stayed the night in their guest room and even went to church with them the next morning.  I just wish we could have stayed longer.  I guess that is just the thing with good friends-you just never want to leave!

After visiting the Winstead's church Evangeline and I headed to Knoxville for the shower.  We ended up arriving very early and I am still kicking myself for not stopping at a historic cemetery site in Knoxville.  After I saw the sign I thought about turning around but then I had already driven ten minutes before I reached the next exit.  Has anyone ever stopped here?  We did kill a little time at Goodwill and enjoyed people watching for a while.
The random old car I saw at Wendy's.
The baby shower was an absolute blast!  (The baby shower was the whole reason behind my weekend road trip.)  It was such a treat to see Emily and her belly!  I can't wait to meet Baby Canaan.  I just wish she didn't live so far away.  :(  I was also able to catch up with a sweet couple from college who are expecting their first baby.  
Such cute decorations!  

I loved the bee theme for the shower!  

On the way home Evangeline started fussing right before the exit for my college so we actually stopped at Cumberland.  I figured it was safer to feed her at the college than at a truck stop so we spent a nice time in one of the parking lots on campus.  It's so funny how some things still feel so familiar.  Although it has been years since I was a student at Cumberland I felt like I could pick up my suitcase and walk right back into my dorm room.  I would have never dreamed back in the day that one day I would be sitting in the parking lot nursing my sweet little girl!  

After our stop at Cumberland we drove all the way home.  I didn't even stop for dinner.  Evangeline was wonderful!  We drove over 5 hours the first day and 4 hours the second.  I am so thankful for our fun weekend away. and for a sweet husband who is so thoughtful.  I think our trip should definitely turn into an annual trip.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea