Skip to main content

December Reads

December Reads
After completing my final exams I was in no mood to read anything that required any brain power last month.  :)  (I will be sure to make up for this deficit in January.)  My reading in December was incredibly sporadic and really only included about two or three days while we were traveling.  I get really bored on long car trips so I always pack along a few fiction books.

Like a Flower in Bloom by Siri Mitchell:  After devouring Mitchell's book The Messenger I jumped at the opportunity to read another one of her books.  This book was different than I expected.  Surprisingly I thought this book was actually very funny.  I found myself laughing out loud.  I also enjoyed all of the science and botany that the author included throughout the book.  She did a great job of weaving it throughout the story.  Spoiler alert: The only thing I really didn't like about the book was how utterly predictable it was.  The book builds a little slowly and then ends exactly as I predicted it would from page two.  Overall a nice light fiction read perfect for an eleven hour car ride!  Please note that I did receive a review copy of this book from Bethany House.  All opinions are my own.

The River by Beverly Lewis: I have read a number of books by Lewis and have loved almost everyone of them.  This book was so different from the other 15 or so books that I have read over the years from the same author.  Many of the scenarios came across as a little unbelievable if you have read any of her other works.  I did enjoy reading this book of two sisters who left the Amish world but would put it at the bottom of my list of favorites from Beverly Lewis.  If you are new to the wonderful world of Amish Fiction I would skip this one and look at some of her other works.

Child of Mine by David & Beverly Lewis: As I mentioned above I have read most of Beverly Lewis' books over the past ten years.  I thought it was so interesting and sweet that she wrote this book with her husband.  This was one of the books that I took along while visiting family in TX and I am fairly certain that I read the entire book in one day.  It was such a page turner!  Don't start reading this book until you have a little time to devote to it!  This story of heartache, love, betrayal, and forgiveness will leave you guessing to the very end.  This book was thrilling to read and exactly what I would expect from Beverly Lewis.  I hope that the authors write another book together soon.

DIY Type: 50+ Typographic Stencils for Decorating, Crafting, and Gifting by Dana Tanamachi:  This book includes two sets of alphabet stencils and a few ideas on projects to make using the stencils.  The book includes a mere 14 pages filled with ideas.  I would say it is hard to call it an actual book since it is mainly just stencils.  You also have to cut out all of the stencils which makes the book pretty pointless in my mind.  I have a Cricut that will make a stencil much faster and easier than utilizing this book.  For a book that retails for over $20 I really do expect a lot more.  The ideas were incredibly common: decorate a pillow, make a banner, decorate a cake, paint a canvas etc.  I would call myself a "crafty" person who has made a few items using letters (mainly banners) but I just don't see this book earning a permanent place in my library.  Please note that I did receive a free copy of this book from Blogging For Books.  All opinions are my own.

I would love to hear what you have been reading.  What books do you plan on reading in 2015?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea