Skip to main content

Sew A New Native Sling: McCall's 5678 Review

I made Evangeline a sling for her birthday! 
I have been wanting a baby sling for Evangeline for the last 6 months.  We have a number of baby carriers but I really wanted to have a baby sling that I could put on in just a few seconds for short episodes of baby wearing.  Originally I hoped to purchase a Maya Wrap Ring Sling but the money I had saved for that was needed to buy gas for a trip we just took.  Then I decided to try to make a Maya.  The company is so nice that they even put the instructions for how to sew one on their website!  When it came time to sew the Maya Wrap I could not find my special ring slings that a friend had given me years ago.

Then I remembered the McCalls pattern I had purchased last year that included a Mei Tai and a sling pouch.  Ta da!  The sling looks very similar to a New Native Sling Pouch.  The happy hubby was watching the kiddos so this was the perfect time to get started on a new project just in time for Evangeline's first birthday!  I am really pleased with how it turned out!

Back view without baby.
 I made View A in a size large.  I measured myself from shoulder to hip and this appeared to be the perfect size.  In hindsight I think the sling is a little snug.  The next time that I sew this pattern I would probably add about 2".
Backview with baby.
 I used a fun cotton print for the exterior that I had in my stash that is heavier than your average woven cotton print.  I did line the sling as the pattern suggested with a fun polka dot fabric that actually came from a sheet.  One thing that I didn't realize until I was sewing this project is the fact that the sling is actually reversible!  Pretty neat!  It would be really cute to make one side a boy print and one side a girly print if you were giving it as a gift.


 I almost skipped the exterior pocket to save time but I am glad that I didn't.  It is really handy to throw my phone or keys inside.  I did not add the pocket to the inside because I didn't want anything to rub against the baby and I didn't want to add any unnecessary work.  :)


The Velcro placement for the pocket appears to be a misprint.  I don't think the Velcro should be placed against the fold line.  I moved mine down an inch or two.  (I also used PINK Velcro for this project.)  I also added top stitching after step 15 which really makes the project look nice.



Overall I am pleased with how the sling turned out besides the fact that it is just a little bit snug.  (I would never be able to breastfeed while wearing this which I can successfully do with a young baby in the Baby K'Tan.)  :)  I do think that this would make a nice gift but it might be difficult to make the right size without taking measurements.


Since this sling isn't bulky at all I can roll it up tightly and place it in my diaper bag which is a huge bonus!  You never know when your baby might need to be carried when you least expect it!

Comments

  1. cute! I think next time we have a baby, I want to get a cloth sling--i love the baby bjorn but it isn't cuddly enough for a newborn (for me lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee. I really don't think I could make it through the first few months without a sling. How would I ever get anything done? :) Especially with Evangeline being born right before the busiest time of the year! Remind me the next time you have a baby and perhaps your favorite sister-in-law will sew you one. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea