Skip to main content

Frugal Things I Did The Last Two Weeks

The cheery pumpkins I made at my mother-in-law's house.  
The last two weeks have been challenging as Evangeline has been ill.  First she had croup, then she caught a horrible stomach virus which lasted 9 days, and the poor girl also had her first ear infection!  She was sick for over two weeks and took two trips to Children's and 3 visits to the pediatrician (and I'm not a mom that takes her kids to the pediatrician unless they are really sick).  We are so thankful that she is feeling better!  Here are a few things we did the last two weeks to save money and enjoy the simple life:

I was so thankful that we were able to eat a few freezer meals that I had made last month.  We did end up eating out a lot more than we usually do but I am thankful that our budget didn't take a bigger hit than it easily could have.  I usually have a few freezer meals or at least some soup in the freezer at all times.  I would love to try to have more muffins, breakfast meals, and desserts stocked away.  Any suggestions?  

We took a last minute trip to visit family.  It was so nice to see family that live far away.  I made the pumpkins pictured above while I was there.  I gifted the far right pumpkin to my parents when we returned.  (They are always so gracious to take care of everything at our home while we are away.)  I have been thinking about adding the phrase "Happy Fall Y'all" to one of the pumpkins but I also like them plain.  We shall see! 

I enjoyed reading some borrowed magazines and books from the library.  

We picked a big bag of peppers from our garden.  Thankfully this year our peppers were very prolific.  We ate lots of peppers in main dishes and raw as a snack.  I also chopped up a lot of peppers into strips and froze them in the freezer.  Around here peppers are expensive especially the colored ones which I love.  I think they cost about $1.80 at Meijer (not even organic) but they occasionally go on sale for $1 but that is still expensive.  Growing our own peppers has saved us lots of money this year.  I try to eat a couple of peppers each week as a snack since they are so healthy.  We also enjoy them in stir fries, chili, and various main dishes.  I definitely plan on growing just as many peppers next year if not more!

Evangeline on her birthday still not feeling very well while she enjoyed the new sling that I made. 
I made a sling for Evangeline for her birthday.  I used materials I had on hand and the pattern had been purchased for $1 last year.

We took a family trip to the zoo where we have a zoo pass.  It is always so much fun!  This time we took my sister Rebekah along with us.  We also packed a nice picnic lunch which we ate before we walked around.  Our zoo has such a nice picnic area that it really is a shame not to use it!

The happy hubby and I went on a much needed date.  :)  It was lovely and such a treat after 2 weeks of a sick baby.  We ate a wonderful dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse using a gift card we had been given.  Then we actually went swimming together which was so fun!  I think it had been over a year since we had been swimming without kids.

Eli loves playing outside!
We have spent a lot of time outside playing despite the fact that Evangeline has not felt well.  Elijah has really enjoyed finding all sorts of treasures and collecting leaves as they change colors.  The trees are absolutely gorgeous at our home.  Hopefully I will have some free time to photograph them before they all fall off!

I purchased a few books and games for Elijah at a garage sale.  I gave him one of the items (A Color Wonder Black) to occupy the time on our trip.  The rest of the items I have saved in a box downstairs for Christmas or his birthday.

I sat down and started making preparations for Christmas in the form of lists.  I follow a loose version of the Holiday Grand Plan at Organized Christmas.  Hopefully this week I will be able to start sewing!

What frugal things did you do last week?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea