Skip to main content

Frugal Things I Did Last Week: Vacation Edition

Eli & Eva at the birthplace of President Woodrow Wilson. 
If you follow me on instagram you might have noticed that we were blessed to take a trip to Washington D.C. last week.  After a lot of debate we opted to drive so that we could stop and visit Thomas Jefferson's Monticello along the way.  Here are a few of the frugal things we did last week!  

While I firmly believe that vacation is a marvelous time to splurge there were a few things that we did to save money last week.

While on vacation we tried to choose wisely which items to splurge on and which to pass on.  We chose to splurge on tickets to see Monticello even though we could only stay a few hours.  (It was well worth it.)  On the way home we stopped by the birthplace of President Woodrow Wilson and were unimpressed by the appearance of the museum so we opted not to spend the $50 it would have cost to actually go inside.  We strolled the grounds, admired the old automobile, and snapped a few pictures.

We used our KY Farm Bureau Discount to save 20% off the cost of a hotel the first night.  Choice Hotels appear to be the best fit for our family since they are usually clean, contain nice amenities, and also provide breakfast the next morning.

I was careful to cancel all of Evangeline's therapy for the week in order not to incur any additional charges or inconvenience anyone.

I also wrote an actual letter to our insurance company requesting that they respond in writing concerning the number of therapy visits they will cover.  I want to avoid any unpleasant surprises in the mail in the coming months.  :)

I packed a lot of food to take with us which saved us lots of money.  We actually invested in an additional cooler for this trip and it definitely paid for itself.  We enjoyed sandwiches in the car for lunch for the first meal.  I took an entire case of water which we drank through before the end of our trip.  Knowing that we would not be staying close to a large grocery store I also packed lots Eva's Pediasure and other specialty food items.  Each morning we would pack a soft sided cooler which conveniently fit in the bottom of our stroller before heading out to explore the city.  I included healthy snacks and at least 6 bottled waters and even milk for the kiddos.  (It was incredibly hot while we were in DC.)

We ate breakfast in our room at the hotel when we were staying at a hotel that did not serve breakfast. I was successful making both tea and oatmeal with the coffee maker!

We picked up books at the library to use for schoolwork this week.

I picked green peppers from a plant we have growing in a pot on the porch to use in our chili.  

The kids and I stopped by Hancock Fabrics during their sale to pick up fabric for a project I am making for my niece.  I usually have a tendency to overspend at fabric stores so I was pleasantly surprised to leave the store for around $10.

The happy hubby was able to attend a conference at a local church. He was able to here Paul David Tripp teach and was so blessed.  It was nominally priced and we were so thankful not to have to pay for a hotel.

I made our monthly grocery trip to Aldi to load up on groceries.

We stopped by Goodwill on 1/2 price clothing day and came home with three bags of clothes and a cute pair of shoes for Eva.  This was great because all of a sudden Eli just outgrew all of his shorts and we are headed to Florida next week!  Thankfully I found three pairs in the next size.

What did you do to save money last week?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea