Skip to main content

May Reads


Ah May Reads.  Two thumbs up for summer reading.  Our library actually pays adults in library cash to read.  Translation: If I spend lots of time reading this summer I won't actually have to use real American currency to pay those pesky library finds.  If I actually return my books on time (I usually don't) then I can spend it all at the used book sale.  It's a fabulous win win either way.  Here's a look at what I read in the month of May.  

The Read Aloud Family by Sarah Mackenzie: I have enjoyed listening to Sarah Mackenzie's podcast "The Read Aloud Revival" for years.  When I found out she was writing a book on reading aloud to your children I jumped at the chance to read it.  I loved this book.  Mackenzie's book was such an encouragement and just a plain delight to read.  Not only does reading aloud have the power to change your family, but it also has the power to change the world.  Reading remains a high priority in our family and I hope to continue the tradition even when all of our children can read on their own. 

The Road Home by Beverly Lewis: This was just the book I needed to jump start my unofficial summer reading.  When a tragedy strikes her family, eighteen year old Lena is sent to Pennsylvania to help in her Mimi's sewing business.  As a fellow seamstress I always love when Lewis includes a bit of sewing in her books.  Lena continues to dream of being reunited with her siblings in Michigan all while her long distance relationship with Hans starts to fizzle.  This book was just like watching a Hallmark movie unfold on the page.  I found it very hard to put this book down.  Once again I am just amazed at the output of Beverly Lewis.  I'm pretty sure she releases not just one but two fiction books per year.  (My mother and I had the privilege of hearing her speak a few years ago which was such a neat experience.)  Please note that I did receive a copy of this book from Bethany House.  All opinions are my own. 

Learning Contentment by Nancy Wilson: This book was amazing and yet so soul piercing.  I found it so helpful that I took the time to record notes in a journal since this was actually a library book.  The chapters are short and very manageable.  The end of each chapter includes 5 questions which are so helpful.  I also took the time to journal these and that is saying something since that usually only happens a few times a month.  This would also be a great book to read in a small group.  I highly recommend this book. 


With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin: This is the story of Lt. Mellie Blake, a flight nurse who begins  writing to a man she has never met as part of a morale-building program.  Lt. Tom MacGilliver jumps at the opportunity to correspond anonymously.  As fate would have it they develop an actual real life friendship before they connect the dots with their letter writing to one another.  This book was fascinating and another page turner.  I look forward to reading more from Sundin in the future.   

The Power of Play by David Elkind: I had a lot of high hopes for this book.  I agree with the importance of play and how crucial it is for parents to actually make free play happen.  Unfortunately this book was just so boring.  I plowed through about half of it before deciding to abandon the book.  I took my kids to the creek instead of finishing the book. 

Case for Life by Scott Klusendorf: I enjoyed reading Klusendorf's book which encourages Christians to really take a stand for life and for truth.  The book is clearly laid out into four parts.  The first part helps Christians to simplify debates over abortion and embryonic stem cell research.  The second section shows how moral neutrality is really impossible.  The third section helps Christians to answer common objections.  This section was so good as it really tackled some hard cases.  The final section addresses questions related to pastors including whether or not it is okay to join hands with other religions to protect life.  I wholeheartedly agree that yes it is okay to join hands with others for the sake of saving lives.  The book also talks about how to give hope to post-abortive men and women.  I love the author's grace filled approach.  Overall this book was clearly laid out and really helped me to think about hard issues that I honestly don't think about enough.  I highly recommend this book.  Please note that I did receive a review copy of this book from Crossway Publishing.  All opinions are my own. 

What have you been reading this summer?  
Do you find yourself gravitating towards a certain genre of books in the summer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea