Skip to main content

January Reads


I ended up reading 5 personal books in January and they were all pretty good.  I'm really thankful after last months reading!  Looks like I'm on track to hit my goal of 52 books this year.  We also finished up two children's books.  Although it wasn't intentional, I am glad to see a little more variety in the books that I read this month.  Last month almost everything I read was fiction.  

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr: This book contained two parallel stories set during World War II.  A bright, young orphan boy named Werner lives in Nazi Germany when he becomes spellbound by a nightly science program broadcast from France.  Mari-Laure is a clever girl who lives in Paris, France with her locksmith father who works in an art museum.  When she goes blind her father builds her a detailed miniature model of their neighborhood.  Germans invade and Marie-Laure and her father must flee to the town of Saint-Malo to live with her great uncle.  For the most part I enjoyed this book.  The one thing that really drove me bonkers was the fact that the story goes back and forth in time.  I found it a little difficult to keep the story straight since I often read in the stolen snippets of time.  This was our book club pick for January and it was really fun to discuss this book.

Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family by Paul David Tripp:
This book was packed full of truth and encouragement.  It was Gospel centered and incredibly convicting.  I have already started to apply the truths found in this book and I can already notice a difference in my own heart.  I would say this a must read for every parent especially if your children are past the toddler stage.

A Simplified Life: Tactical Tools for Intentional Living by Emily Ley: After a busy Christmas season I was ready to dive into a book that talked about simplifying things.  I loved Ley's practical strategies and tips for prioritizing what really matters in life.  This book is divided into ten key areas: your home, style, meals, schedule, finances, hospitality, technology, self care, motherhood, and faith.  I found this book  helpful as I worked through my goals for the 2018.  This book is also stunning.  I loved the beautiful photographs included throughout the book and plan on purchasing a copy as a gift.

Red-Hot Monogamy by Bill and Pam Farrel:  This book was really good and a great reminder to prioritize my own marriage.  It also included well over 100 romantic ideas which were actually really good.  I would definitely recommend this book if you are married.

The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay: In this book Mary Davies finds her productive, organized life turned upside down when she heads to England with her estranged, best friend from childhood.  Things in England prove to be eventful when her friend Isabel looses her memory.  Isabel is convinced that she lives in Regency England.  This book was delightful and the second book that I have read by Ms. Reay.  Her other book Dear Mr. Knightly is wonderful.

Read Aloud to Children:

God's Word by Sally Michael:  The children and I really enjoyed reading this book together.  It is packed full of Scripture and I absolutely love the illustrations that the author includes.  This book generated a lot of really good discussion and prayer this month.  It is the third book that we have read in the Making Him Known series.  We plan to read God's Design next.

Prepare Him Room: Celebrating the Birth of Jesus Family Devotional by Marty Machowski: This was our Advent devotional that we wrapped up early in January.  The devotions were Gospel centered and also included song selections which we sang together.  There were also some family activity ideas that we didn't always get to and that's okay.  I really appreciated the fact that there were just three devotionals each week.  I didn't get overwhelmed or feel like I fell behind.  The book also included a longer story that was four chapters long about a group of orphan children.  Overall a delightful book that we plan to read next Christmas.  

Only one book was from my "unread" shelf.  I'm actually a little scared to count how many books are on that shelf!  This year I would like to read 12 books that I already currently own.  

Currently Reading:

The Quest by Beth Moore

Make it Happen by Lara Casey

Gospel Centered Mom by Brooke McGlothlin

An Uncomplicated Life by Paul Daugherty 


What books did you read in January?  Do you find it easier to read during the winter months?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea