Thursday, June 4, 2015

March and April Reads



Love the Home You Have by Melissa Michaels:  I could not wait to read this book on decorating from a fellow pastor's wife.  Unfortunately the book really wasn't at all what I expected.  I love the premise behind the book to fully embrace and love your current living situation.  In my 6.5 years of married life we have lived in a variety of homes from owning our own home to our current living situation where we live in lovely church parsonage on 7 acres.  I just did not find the book that inspiring.  (If you follow her blog The Inspired Room then you might feel differently about the book.)  I was hoping that she would have included more commentary about her life as a pastor's wife and how her husband's ministry influenced her home.

The Love Letters by Beverly Lewis:  Every time I read one of Lewis' books I never really know what to say about them without giving away too much of the book.  I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it.  When it comes to summer I just don't think there is anything better than curling up with a great fiction book.  In a way I equate reading one of these books as the same as watching a sweet girl movie like Pride and Prejudice.  Please note that I did receive a review copy from Harvest House Publishers.

Capture The Moment by Sarah Wilkerson:  I really enjoyed this simple book on photography.  It was so inspiring and I found myself reaching for my camera a lot more after reading this book.  I guess you could say I'm a wannabe photographer without skills.  :)  I am looking forward to cultivating my photography skills this summer.  If I could only move away from the auto button!  The photographs in this book are simply stunning.  It is one of those books that would make a great coffee table type of book if you are into that sort of thing.  Please note that I did receive a free copy of this book from Blogging For Books.

Everyday Grace: Infusing All of Your Relationships With The Love of Jesus by Jessica Thompson:  I really wanted to like this book but for some reason I just couldn't get into it.  A friend had recently asked me if I thought Thompson focused too much on grace so I think that thought permeated the back of my mind the entire time I was reading this book.  I didn't want to read with a critical spirit but that thought just kept permeating my mind.  I think I'm going to try to pick this book back up in 6 months.  I just don't think I was in the mood to read this type of book right now.  Please note that I did receive a review copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion.

What books have you read in the past few months?  I would also love to hear your recommendations for summer read alouds for my children who are five and one.  


No comments:

Post a Comment