Skip to main content

January Reads




Grace Is Free: One Woman's Journey From Fundamentalism to Failure to Faith: by Marci Preheim:  Throughout the Christian World there is a deadly false teaching that is seeping into the hearts of many Christians.  Far too many women are finding themselves enslaved to self-righteousness through seemingly good things like to-do lists, extra biblical rules, and striving for excellence.  What can easily be seen as striving for godliness can in effect lead to women who are robbed from the intimacy that comes from walking in Christ's righteousness.  Preheim shares in the book the tendency that we as women have to view the woman who excels the most in homemaking skills and organization as the epitome of godliness.  If this is true then Martha Stewart is the godliest woman of all.  This book pulls the mask off of the false gospel of legalism and fundamentalism by reminding the reader of the Gospel.  I highly recommend reading this book this year!

Trusting God (Even When Life Hurts) by Jerry Bridges: It is really hard to describe the impact this book has had on my heart this past month.  There is a part of me that wishes I could order a dozen copies of this book and just hand them out everyone in my life who is going through a difficult time.  I could definitely agree that it is so much easier to obey God than to trust Him.  Sometimes trusting God in various situations simply doesn't make sense to us.  In my own life I have been walking through a season where God is radically challenging my trust in Him.  This book has been such a comfort the past month.  I'm embarrassed to admit that we have actually owned the book for two years before I opened the cover.  What a well of encouragement I have been missing.  Bridges writes from the perspective of one who has seen his own shares of adversity.  Throughout this book he shares what God has taught him about God's power over all things.  I have no doubt that at the end of 2015 this will have been one of the books that had the biggest impact on me this year.

Heaven at Home by Ginger Plowman: I don't know about you but I have a deep desire for my home to be a haven and a place of peace.  I really enjoyed reading this grace filled book on homemaking. 

Say Goodbye To Survival Mode by Crystal Paine:  Over the past four years Crystal's blog moneysavingmom.com has been one of the two blogs that I have faithfully read on a weekly basis.  This is her second book and I really enjoyed reading it.  Throughout the book the author highlights 9 strategies to reduce stress and live a life on purpose.  I loved how this book was written from a clear Biblical perspective but was also filled with practical advice.



Supermarket Healthy: by Melissa D'Arabian: I really enjoyed the photography in this cookbook.  Simply stunning and almost good enough to eat right off the page!  Throughout the book the author tries to create delicious, nutritious meals from ingredients that can be found at your local grocery store.  I love a fancy grocery store like Whole Foods but it is a rare treat in our life.  We don't live close to a store like this and we lack the budget to shop at such a store exclusively.  This is a great cookbook for the real world.  I marked a few of her recipes to try in the next week.  Please note that I did receive a review copy of this book from Blogging For Books.

What books did you read last month?  I would love to hear your suggestions on what books to add to my list for February.  Do you have any suggestions for reading a book about prayer? 



Comments

  1. i'm adding All of these to my want-to-read list! they sound great--especially the one on trusting God.

    right now i'm reading "the gospel of ruth" by Carolyn Custis James, since i'm studying ruth right now, and its been a really interesting perspective--she writes about "is God good for women" basically.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea