Skip to main content

Frugal Things I Did Last Week

Evangeline and I before heading to the Mother/Daughter Tea Party at church.  
Our super busy month of May has begun!  In our family we are celebrating two graduations, my brother's wedding, mother's day, and attending a conference.  Let the fun begin!  Here are a few of the things we did to save money last week:

Evangeline and I attended a Ladies Tea Party at our church.  I helped by making and sending all of the invitations.  I designed the invitations using the program Print Shop (gift from my mother-in-law).  In order to save money on postage the invitations were designed as postcards.  :)  All of the ladies from our church pitched in and made different food items so we did not need to charge a fee for the tea.  I made Vanilla Biscotti Cookies and Egg Salad Sandwiches.  They were both easy to make.  My sister, mother, and grandmother all attended the tea party.  They even had a hat contest where I wore a hat that belonged to my great grandmother.  I think every woman in attendance had a lovely time.  It was extra special having my own daughter Evangeline attending.

I also made mother's day gifts for my mother, mother-in-law, and grandmothers.  I haven't passed them all out yet so I will share about them next week. ;)

I harvested loose leaf lettuce that I had planted in a pot on the front porch.  I just wish now that I had planted more.

I received free magazines and a sample of coffee in the mail.

The happy hubby was kind enough to stop at a yard sale this past week while we were driving.  We purchased a shirt for Eli, a toy for Eva, and a $5 exersaucer!  I was SO excited to find this.  Eva has really been enjoying this and I anticipate that we will find it useful this summer.

We all went to the zoo and took along my youngest sister.  It was lots of fun and we were able to use our zoo pass which also has a free guest on it.

I actually went shopping with my mom and sister this past weekend.  (My mother needed to buy a dress for my brother's wedding.)  My mother bought me a skirt while we were out that I absolutely love.

The bouquet of flowers we left on a neighbor's porch on May Day.  

I also wanted to share something fun that our family did to celebrate May Day.  We made the bouquet in the picture above and placed it in a glass mason jar.  I used the ring to attach ribbon to the jar.  We walked to a neighbor's house as a family.  Then Elijah and Brandon quietly placed the flowers on the door knob and RAN!  We hid for about five minutes but the neighbors weren't home.  Eli still thought it was just the coolest thing ever.  :)  Eventually our neighbor did call to see if we were the guilty party.  This was such a fun memory that I hope to make it a tradition in our family.  What a great way to welcome the month of May and bless a friend!

What frugal things did you do last week?  Have you planted any vegetables or flowers yet?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea