Skip to main content

2020 Reading Recap: I Read 100 Books Last Year & Recommendations

 



I've always been a fairly voracious reader but this was the first year that I actually read 100 Books!  I guess I can now say there is at least one good thing to come out of 2020.  As a child I'm pretty sure that I read 100 Books in a year but this was my first time hitting that milestone as an adult.  

Since January is the time for bookish friends to think about their 2021 List of Books to Read I thought it would be fun to share a list of the 100 Books that I read this past year mostly in order.  My list is pretty haphazard and includes a lot of fiction this past year.  I usually do try to intentionally read a mixture of books from a variety of topics: Christian Living, History, Motherhood, Personal Growth, Fiction, and children's books that I read aloud.  

Personal Observations

When life feels crazy (or I'm planning to ride in the car with 3 kiddos) I always reach for easy fiction reads.  Well life must have felt crazier than I thought because I read a lot of fiction in 2020.  I would venture to guess that this is more fiction than I have read during any of my adult years.  It's interesting to note that I also picked up a number of series.  Maisie Dobbs is hands down my favorite fiction series that I have read in the past year.  I read 10 books from this series this year.  Now I just need the author to write some more books!  I also really enjoyed the Cities of Refuge series which are set during the Old Testament time period.  

The hardest book I read this year was The Slave Across the Street which tells the story of a girl who was a victim of human trafficking in her own town.  I actually listened to the book while painting while my children were visiting their grandparents.  (I would not allow children to listen to the book.). This book has helped me to realize the importance of fighting against human trafficking and supporting organizations that do so.  (Like many others we stopped utilizing Netflix streaming services after they came out with the Cuties show.)  

The worst book I read was the Oysterville Sewing Circle which had a delightful title but way too much bad language.  As someone who really loves to sew (and dreams of a group of friends to sew with) I would love to find a cozy book that includes sewing in the storyline.  Please share if you have a recommendation.  

The longest book I read was Code Girls at 640 pages and the shortest book I read was a book of poetry called What the Chickadee Knows at 88 pages.  In case you are wondering the Goodreads app keeps track of such interesting tidbits. The most popular book that I read according to GoodReads was Clothed in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes #1).  You can visit my Year in Books on Goodreads by clicking here.  

Christian Living 5 Star Recommendations from this year:

Suffering is Never for Nothing by Elisabeth Elliot

The Right Kind of Strong by Mary Kassian 

Worthy: Celebrating the Worth of Women by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Eric Schumacher

In Search of the Source by Neil Anderson

Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds & Nourishes Your Soul by Hannah Anderson 


Most Impactful Non-Christian Books:

Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction is Hijacking Our Kids and How to Break the Trance by Nicholas Kardaras

The Call of the Wild & Free: Reclaiming Wonder in Your Child's Education by Ainsley Arment

Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear


Favorite Kid's Read Aloud:

Jotham's Journey: An Advent Storybook by Arnold Ytreeide


Below you will find the list of books I read last year.  Please feel free to ask a question in the comments section.  

The 100 Books I Read in 2020

1) The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

2) Last Christmas in Paris

3) Behind the Laughter: A Comedian's Tale of Tragedy and Hope

4) Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachain Mountains

5) Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul

6) Suffering is Never for Nothing

7) An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs #5)

8)  Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing Yourself

9)  Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life

10) Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs #6)

11) The Mapping of Love & Death (Maisie Dobbs #7)

12) A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs #8)

13) Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs #9)

14) Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs #10)

15) A Horse Called Willing (Read Aloud)

16) Dyslexia 1010: Truths, Myths and What Really Works

17) A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs #11)

18) Journey to Munich (Maisie Dobbs #12)

19) A Well Behaved Woman: A Novel of the Vanderbilts

20) In This Grave Hour (Maisie Dobbs #13)

21) To Die But Once (Maisie Dobbs #14)

22) Ten Girls Who Made History (Read Aloud)

23) The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs #15)

24) Worthy: Celebrating the Value of Women

25) Baby-Led Weaning: The (Not-So) Revolutionary Way to Start Solids

26) A Secret Courage The London Chronicles #1)

27) Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery #1)

28) Love's Faithful Promise (Courage to Dream #3)

29) Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys 

30) Little Men

31) Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery #2)

32) A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II

33) Shades of Earl Grey (A Tea Shop Mystery #3)

34) Small Talk: Learning From My Children About What Matters Most

35) The Spies of Shilling Lane

36) The Slave Across the Street: The True Story of How an American Teen Survived the World of Human Trafficking

37) A Christ-Centered Wedding: Rejoicing in the Gospel on Your Big Day

38) White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism

39) The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1)

40) Return to Me (The Restoration Chronicles #1)

41) The Oysterville Sewing Circle (Way too much language.)

42) Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skls for Self-Sufficient Living

43) Love's Mountain Quest

44) Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Radical Reconciliation

45) The Face on the Milk Carton

46) A Light on the Hill (Cities of Refuge #1)

47) Whatever Happened to Janie?

48) The Voice on the Radio

49) What Janie Found

50) Shelter of the Most High

51) Walk it Out: The Radical Result of LIving God's Word One Step at a Time

52) Like Flames in the Night (Cities of Refuge #4)

53) Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge #3)

54) The Outsider (Shaker #1)

55) Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction is Hijacking Our Kids and Homes

56) No Such Thing As Can't: A Triumphant Story of Faith and Perserverance

57) The Seeker (Shaker #3)

58) She Come By It Natural: Dolly Parton and the Women Who Lived Her Songs

59) The Right Kind of Strong: Suprisingly Simple Habits of a Strong Woman

60) The Believer (Shaker #2)

61) You Can Stay Home with Your Kids!: 100 Tips, Tricks, and Ways to Make it Work on a Budget

62) Forgotten Girls

63) In Search of the Source

64) Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

65) The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Toddler

66) A Christmas Journey 

67) The Grand Design: Male and Female He Made Them

68) Grandpa's Mountain (Read Aloud)

69) The Family Under the Bridge (Read Aloud)

70) A Nantucket Christmas

71) The Jasmine Moon Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #5)

72) Did Adam Have a Belly Button: And Other Questions about the Bible

73) A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes)

74) The Christmas Pony

75) Jotham's Journey: A Storybook Advent (Read Aloud)

76) Come, Let Us Adore Him: A Daily Advent Devotional

77) A Quiet Life in the Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)

78) Love, Honor, and Virtue

79) Sew with Me

80) Open-Door Living: Easy Ways to Share the Gift of Hospitality

81) The Stone Wall

82) He Will Hold Me Fast: A Journey with Grace Through Cancer

83) The Christmas Bus

84) Cozy White Cottage: 100 Ways to Love the Feeling of Being Home

85) The Happy Camper

86) Holding on to Hope: A Pathway Through Suffering to the Heart of God

87) The Lightkeeper's Bride (Mercy Falls #2)

88) Keep Showing Up: How to Stay Crazy in Love When Your Love Drives You Crazy

89) Heaven, So Near-So Far: The Story of Judas Iscariot

90) A Christmas Visitor

91) Natural Baby Toddler Treats: Homemade, Nourishing Recipes

92) What the Chickadee Knows

93) The Christmas Remedy

94) The Bride's Guide to Glow: Everything you need for beautiful skin for your big day

95) Will Medicine Stop the Pain

96) Women Helping Women

97) Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II

98) Veg in One Bed: How to Grow an Abundance of Food in One Raised Bed

99) David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Read Aloud)

100) The call of the Wild and Free: Reclaiming Wonder in Your Child's Education


Have you read any of these books?  What books do you plan to read in 2021? 

Next week I plan to share why I don't plan to read 100 books next year and what I plan on doing instead. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea