Skip to main content

February Reads



I'm finally posting my February Reads which means that spring is just around the corner!  Hooray!  Is anyone else already dreaming of summer vacation?  I've caught myself more than once dreaming about reading curled up in a comfy chair and reading in our backyard.  

Make it Happen by Lara Casey: This book escaped my picture but it was delightful.  I loved the sweet insights into Casey's life.  Her testimony is a beautiful example of the Lord's grace as she sings His praises throughout each chapter.  I have been following her Instagram account for a while and began using her Power Sheets last summer.  I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it.  

Rethinking School: How to Take Charge of Your Child's Education by Susan Wise Bauer:   I absolutely loved Bauer's advice on taking control of your child's K-12 experience.  She advocates learning to flex the system so that it fits your child vs. the other way around.  In this book the author also discusses learning difficulties and intellectual giftedness.  Bauer also touches on the sheer craziness of children spending many hours on homework at the expense of family priorities.  I did learn a lot about traditional education from this book and would definitely recommend this book to any parent.  It definitely made me think as we continue to pray about the future of education for our children.  

Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox: One of the things our family is really passionate about is reading aloud.  It is seriously a non-negotiable in our home.  Having enjoyed other books about reading aloud, I was delighted to pick up this book at the library.  The first few chapters were okay but honestly I quickly lost interest.  If you are interested in a book about reading aloud I encourage you to check out Jim Trelease or Gladys Hunt.  

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate: This was a poignant and beautiful novel which takes place in Memphis, 1939.  Wingate's novel plunges the reader into the dark history of the Memphis TN Children's Home Society under the leadership of Georgia Tann.  The story shifts between past and present but not in a way that drives me crazy.  No doubt this is an unforgettable read and I am confident I will always be reminded of this book when we pass the real life Mud Island in Memphis, TN. 

Gospel Centered Mom: The Freeing Truth About What Your Kids Really Need by Brooke McGlothlin: I was eager to start reading this book once I realized that the author was a boy mom.  One of the things I have really struggled with as a parent is the feeling that I am not enough.  I find that I need to remind myself constantly of the good news of the Gospel and how it relates to my parenting!  This book was a nice reminder.  I especially enjoyed the author's guided prayer and wish that she would have included more prayers in this book.  She also included many quotes from different theological backgrounds which I found interesting.  Please note that I did receive a review copy of this book from Blogging for Books.  All opinions are my own.  


Read Aloud to Children


By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder: I'm thrilled to continue passing on my love of the "Little House" books to my children.  My sweet mama introduced me to the series as a young girl and I've been quite a fan ever since then.  Eli and Eva both really enjoy listening to the stories.  This month I noticed Eva really began to take many of the stories to heart and we talked often about life for Laura and Mary.  I definitely predict that we will be sewing bonnets by the end of summer.

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White: My children and I really enjoyed this delightful book by the author of Charlotte's Web.  It is the delightful story of a young swan named Louie who is born mute.  I think I enjoyed this story just as much as my children did. 


Currently Reading:

True Feelings: God's Gracious and Glorious Purpose for Our Emotions by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Whitacre

Follow the River by James Alexander Thom

The Harmonious Child: Every Parent's Guide to Musical Instruments, Teachers, and Lessons by Beth Luey & Stella Saperstein

A Most Noble Heir by Susan Anne Mason


What books did you read last month?  I would love to hear all about it in the comments.  





Comments

  1. I'm reading "Gospel Centered Mom" right now--and my kids loved trumpet & all the little house books too =) I just finished "Humble Roots" for me and "The Borrowers" for the girls--I highly recommend both

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about Rethinking School because I want to educate myself on the wide array of options when we have children and want to find the best educational pathway for them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea