Skip to main content

September Reads


I forgot to hit publish a few months ago but I wanted to go ahead and share this post anyway.  I so enjoy getting a glimpse into the reading life of my friends.  


After reading only one disappointing book in August I was determined to make up for lost time in September!  I was much more observant of how I was using small pockets of time and found that I was able to read quite a nice pile of books!  It was very humbling to discover I could read this many books in the amount of time I usually spent scrolling social media.  I made sure to take a book with me on any errand even I didn't possibly think I would have any time to read.  In September we also flew to Texas so I read two of these books on the plane.  

Still Waiting: Hope for When God Doesn't Give You What You Want by Ann Swindell: I loved hearing the author share her compelling story of waiting for healing.  It was both fascinating and incredibly encouraging to see her cling to the cross despite her suffering.  In the book Swindell retells the story of the woman with the issue of blood with keen insights into what life must have been like for her.  This book was honest and Gospel centered.  I look forward to reading more books by Swindell in the future.

Daring to Hope: Finding God's Goodness in the Broken and the Beautiful by Katie Davis Majors: Having read the author's first book Kisses from Katie years ago, I was eager to read her second.  What a beautiful story of what God has done in and through the author's life in Uganda.  Majors moved to Uganda over a decade ago where she founded Amazima Ministries.  Today she continues to serve the people there while also being a wife and mother to over a dozen children.  I appreciated Majors' honesty about the real struggles that she faces on a day to day basis and how the Lord has met her each time.  This book was challenging and inspired me to fully invest in the lives of those around me.  Please note that I did receive a review copy of this book from Blogging For Books in exchange for my review.

Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World by Tsh Oxenreider:  In a world that's always encouraging us to do more, I appreciated Oxenreider's advice to slow down.  I loved hearing her share about her journeys and her struggles.  I could also really appreciate her love of travel and adventurous spirit.  I've always enjoyed traveling but I think the older I get the more important it becomes.  Most of our traveling centers around visiting family & friends but our family also hopes to add some unique travel destinations in the future.  I so enjoyed the author's book and would definitely recommend it.

The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner:  This memoir was absolutely captivating.  What a touching story of the courage of Wariner's escape from the fundamentalist Mormon cult where she grew up.  Amazingly, Ruth Wariner was also able to rescue and raise her three younger sisters.  The author is a fabulous writer and it was really hard to put this book down.  I finished it the next day as soon as I could steal away some time.  

Alive in Him: How Being Embraced by the Love of Christ Changes Everything by Gloria Furman:  I am so very thankful for each Gloria Furman's books.  This one was no different.  Throughout the book Furman leads the reader deeper into the biblical text of the book of Ephesians.  She shares the mains themes of the book and that the blessings believers have received in Christ empower us to walk in a new way.  I spent an entire semester studying Ephesians in depth with the ladies of my college church and every time I think of the book of Ephesians I get excited.  This book is nice to read alongside the book of Ephesians.

A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling Manual How-To Manual by Catherine Levison: While I'm definitely a fan of Charlotte Mason education in general I just couldn't get into this book.  The chapters were very short and more of a concise summary.  I really appreciate a little more meat to a book.


Read Aloud to Children:

Sir Gawain and the Green Night by Michael Morpugo (adaptor): My kids really enjoyed this book especially Eli.  What seven year old boy wouldn't enjoy a delightful tale about a knight!  I do think the book would be better suited for children who are slightly older.

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett:  I read this delightful tale aloud last week to the children.  One was down sick so this was the perfect fantasy tale to lift their spirits.  This is the first in a series and we plan to read the next one soon.

Life of Fred: Apples by Stanley Schmidt: This book weaves together elementary math principles into a story.  Eli & Eva both found it delightful.  I thought it was okay and a fun math supplement.  I love reading so I am always up for adding in some fun living books!


________________________________________________________________________________

Currently Reading:

The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill by Julie Klassen

Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family by Paul David Tripp

Loving My Actual Christmas: An Experiment in Relishing the Season by Alexandra Kuykendall

_________________________________________________________________________________

What books are you reading this month?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Reads

None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us by Jen Wilkin :  I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Mrs. Jen Wilkin.  I've been working through her 1 Peter Bible Study this summer and I absolutely loved reading through this book on the attributes of God.  I found myself reminded of so many things and almost felt a sense of relief as I contemplated what God is like.  This book was a delight to read.  I love that there is now a book on God's attributes written especially for women.  Pure awesomeness!  I highly recommend this book for both new believers and those with years of experience.  I also think it would make a great book club book. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian: This book is one that I have been wanting to read for years and I just never got around to it.  I am so glad that I finally took the time to read and pray through this book!  What better gift could I give my husband the past month than to spend time earnestly praying for him through a

Our First Tent Camping Experience

Earlier in June we embarked on a new adventure.  TENT CAMPING!   Two summers ago we enjoyed a wonderful time camping in a borrowed pop-up camper but this was our first experience sleeping in a tent as a family.  We loaded up our very full van and headed to Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky for a new adventure.  It was wonderful.   One of the neatest aspects of our trip was the fact that Nina & Poppy Steve (Brandon's parents) were able to meet up with us!  (They live a good 10 hours away from us so this was a real treat.)  We had so much spending time with them.  We stayed at  Hillman Ferry Campground  and I would definitely stay there again.   Hillman Ferry Campground has a lovely beach with an area roped off for swimming.  The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and I even took them swimming in the lake.  I have been swimming many times in a lake but I think this was my children's first real time swimming in a lake.  (The closest lake to us no longer

This Week's Goals

We have been so blessed to fill our August with such fun family memories. In the picture above we enjoyed a day trip to the Columbus Zoo where we got to get up close with some kangaroos!   August has been so busy for our family that I've neglected to share my goals the past few weeks.  We've been squeezing in lots of summer fun as we transition back to school days.  I also began teaching fall piano lessons.  Here are a few of my goals for this upcoming week.      This Week's Goals Marriage, Mothering, & Family 1.  Eli is playing flag football this fall!  I'm excited to attend his game on Saturday. 2.  Eva has a therapy appointment this week.  I am so thankful for all of the incredible progress that she has made over the past year.   3.  Take both children to the park to play this week.   Homemaking 4.  Work on plans for Disney.  I need to work on our packing list and make some reservations.  I also need to purchase a number of items before we lea